Sunday, September 9, 2012

Question 3 : Medical Use of Marijuana

Question 3 on the November Ballot is a proposed law that would eliminate the criminal and civil penalty for the medical use of Marijuana to qualifying patients. This question has me thinking on if passed how will it effect my rental properties. Currently most of my buildings are smoke free. Should tenants and or their guest choose to smoke then they need to do so outside. If not then they are in violation of the lease agreement and it is grounds for eviction. The dilemma I have with Question 3 if passed is: If my buildings have a smoke free policy then does than where does that leave me with the 71 tenant that has a prescription for medical marijuana for her glaucoma. Do I really want granny smoking a dubbie outside during the cold months of January where she can catch a death of a cold or does she have to resort to making batches of hash baked brownies to relieve her symptoms? Can I actually enforce the no smoking policy with a perscription for MJ or is the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination going to sue me for discrimination? I have no idea how I'm going to vote. Right now I'm exploring the pro's and con's. What's your take on it?

No comments:

Post a Comment